Friday, November 18, 2011

Some Love for the Octagon Art Center ames, Ia

I really, really, love living in Ames Iowa.  I grew up here, then left, then came back and it still has everything I could ever want in a hometown.  We have great friends here, my mom and my hilarious twin brother both have stayed here, a post office with wonderful workers who I joke around with, a wild music scene, a chill corner bar where everyone knows my name and a thriving art scene.

The most visible supporter of the arts in Ames is the Octagon Center for the Arts. It is a cozy Art mecca in downtown Ames, they have a gift shop with all Iowa Artists, an art gallery with a rotating exhibit and classrooms for art workshops and classes. My wife and I just went to Daniel Marks exhibit opening last weekend.  Amazing stuff!

The Octagon was my first consignment gig back when I was a wee bitty starving artist.  That first year they made my Christmas dreams come true!  I have been consigning with them for 5 years and counting.  Every holiday season I go into the shop and swap out the things that didn't sell with my new stock of sparkly rings.  I am always surprised to see how much my craftsmanship has improved.  I was looking at pictures of my old rings from the beginning of my artistic journey.  Lets just say I have improved....

Here are some of my most recent stock I am taking to the Octagon. Shiny!


It is all a learning process.  I am really passionate about making my jewelry the best that it can be.  Sounds cheesy, but is true.

Thank you Octagon for coming along on my journey!  I love you guys.  Please, if you are in Ames, stop into the Octagon and check out all the fantastic stuff we make in Iowa.  http://www.octagonarts.org/

Does your town have passion for the arts?  What does that look like?  I would love to know how other towns support their local artists and craftsmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment